I know, a total departure from stamping BUT if you love peanut butter and you love cookies you are going to FLIP for these outrageously yummy peanut butter cookies! And guess what? They are gluten free!
A friend shared this recipe with me a few years ago and I don't know why but every year around Halloween I think about making them. Maybe it's because they are the right color for the season or maybe it's because I love those orange striped Hershey Kisses that look so perfect sitting atop these melt-in-your mouth babies. But I was getting ready to make some and I thought “Why am I not sharing this with my stamping peeps?”
These peanut butter cookies come out almost like a peanut butter shortbread. They have a nice crisp “skin” with a tender, dense but not heavy interior. You can add the Kisses to the top or leave them plain or even mix in mini chocolate chips or whatever you like. You cannot wreck these peanut butter cookies – they are perfection!
Here's how to make them. Are you ready? It's SUPER complicated. NOT!
- Preheat your oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat together one cup of peanut butter and one large egg.
- Whisk together one cup of white sugar and one teaspoon baking soda; beat into peanut butter mixture.
- Pinch off walnut sized pieces of dough and roll into a ball. If using Kisses, press one (unwrapped – I gotta say it) kiss into the center of each ball. If not using Kisses, press ball down with the bottom of a glass or criss cross the tines of a fork.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until pale golden (your time may vary a bit, you know the drill); let cool on sheet for -3 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
- Try not to eat ALL the cookies.
This recipe doubles (or triples) really well and they make amazing gifts. (And while they are gluten free by their ingredients, always double check with people you might make these for who are gluten free because everyone's sensitivities are different.)
I bet you have the WORST craving for peanut butter cookies right now, don't you? So here's a proposition for you. Go make a huge batch, make some treat bags like the one here and make up some treat bags for those people you want to share a little love with. Because there's not a whole lot more that yummier than homemade peanut butter cookies!